Friday, February 12, 2010

Sebastian Meets Refined Sugar

So Sebastian has been going a little stir-crazy being cooped up inside for like a week because of the snow. We go outside every day for at least SOME sort of walk, but we can't go to the playground or anything because it's like 3 feet under snow, and the roads still aren't great so we can't go anywhere else like the mall (not that I'd want to, with all the OTHER people trying to get their kids out, too...). So we've basically been in our house. And have taken a few trips to my parents' house. But the poor kid is going NUTS (and so are we...). We try to let him run around as much as we can, but it's just not the same as being outside or playing on the playground, kwim?

ANYWAY, so we took a looooong walk today to try to get some of his energy out, which sort of worked. He discovered puddles for the first time, really, and LOVED them. It was adorable and I wish I'd brought my camera just to catch the pure JOY on his face as he splashed around. Ahh well, next time. But of course after our long walk trudging through snow and slippery icy streets, I was feeling like crap (I'm still supposed to be "taking it easy"...yeah, right, with the week we've had!). So I had a few chocolate chip cookies and went upstairs to lie down for a little while and Ken played with Sebastian.

Now apparently at some point during the 30 minutes I was upstairs, the dogs somehow made some huge mess that Ken was cleaning up while Sebastian wandered around the living room. (Usually totally fine...it's toddler-proofed for the most part.) But neither of us realized that the plate of cookies I'd been munching on had been left on the table, with two pretty good-sized cookies still on it.

You can see where this is going. Sebastian very happily (and quietly) chowed down on TWO chocolate chip cookies. This is the kid who has probably had like 4 cookies in his life, and whose sugar intake is generally limited to fruit, water-with-a-little-juice-in-it, and the occasional graham cracker. Even the sugar in fruit makes him kind of hyper (and he's quite the firecracker as it is), so we definitely limit the refined stuff.

So afterward, he was a MANIAC. Like running around laughing his head off, positively cackling and grinning like a loon. Came tearing up the stairs to find me, jumped on the bed, and proceeded to try to dance on me while I tried to keep him from jumping TOO vigorously on his little brother. Even changing his diaper he was lying there on the changing table laughing hysterically and saying "HEE HEE!" It was hysterical. I've NEVER seen him so wound up. Makes me wish we had a video camera.

We ended up taking him to my parents' house so he'd have a new venue to run around for a while because he was SO spazzy and was trying to go up and down our million stairs at the speed of light....I was scared he'd hurt himself! My parents couldn't believe how hyper he was...we all just laughed and agreed that refined sugar was better in SMALL doses for our little Tasmanian devil!

Just had to share...no pics or anything (don't think they would have come out anyway, fast as he was moving!), but hopefully you can just IMAGINE little Sebastian running amok. It was a sight to behold...

1 comment:

  1. That's so funny...we don't limit Riley that much, but we had a similar situation Friday afternoon...they had a Valentine's party at our sitter's house and apparently Riley and two other little girls had quite the time with the cookies and cupcakes. When I got there, Riley was going "mummamummamummamummamumma", Sarah was screaming very high pitched as she made laps through the house, and little Bellah was laid out in a toy box in a sugar glazed coma. It was pretty dang funny :)

    ReplyDelete